A 4 star holiday cottage in the Derbyshire Peak District
c/o Pam Livesley
Tel: +44 (0)115 9225582
Mob: +44 (0)7880 514455
About Smithys Cottage
Where To Go
Where To Eat
What To Do!(some suggestions)
Guest Book Comments
Some Useful Links
Booking your Holiday
How To Book
Availability and Prices
Booking Form (online)
Booking Form (postal)
travel to us by bus or train:-
More about the history of Buxton
Buxton is an old market and spa town, nestling amongst the surrounding Derbyshire hills at a height of over 1000ft, making it the highest town in England. Buxton grew in fame as a spa town because of the pale blue water which bubbles up from thermal springs beneath The crescent. These are the outlets from a sub-terreanean reservoir, where the water lies for many years before coming to the surface at a constant temperature of 82 degrees fahrenheit. Buxton has a mixed economy with tourism playing a major role. The University of Derby is also significant employer. There are 2 main retail areas with higher Buxton holding a market on tues and saturday, whilst lower Buxton has a pedestrianised shopping area with indoor malls.
Buxton's fame as a health spa dates back to Roman times, who were thought to have settled here around AD80 and built baths, the remains of which were excavated in the 17th and 18th centuries. Over the years Buxton became popular with pilgrims wanting to take the waters and one famous visitor was Mary Queen of Scots who suffered badly from rheumatism.
The 18th century saw much development in Buxton with the building of The crescent by the 5th Duke of Devonshire with money made from his copper mines. The building included a ball room and an assembly room and was completed in 1788. Originally it contained a town house for the Duke but by 1804 he had relinquished his accommodation and it became the Centre Hotel with a hotel on each side, St Ann's to the west and the Great Hotel to the east. Hotel guests were able to use private entrances to the baths.
The Devonshire Royal Hospital was built in 1790 as stabling for horses. In 1857 a portion of the stabling block was given over as a hospital. The magnificent slate dome was added in 1880 and at that time was the largest unsupported dome in the world with a span of 154 feet. The hospital is now part of Derby University.
The Palace Hotel was designed by Henry Currey in 1867 and is now the largest hotel in Buxton. It was built to accommodate the growing number of visitors anticipated with the coming of the railway to Buxton.
The Serpentine Walks have been a feature of Buxton for many years. They were originally landscaped by Joseph Paxton in the 19th century.
The Pavillion gardens lie on the banks of the River Wye and are the home of the spa water swimming pool. The pavillion itself, a glass and iron structure was built in 1871. It has been carefully restored to maintain its Victorian feel, It houses a variety of native and tropical plants.
The Pump Room which faces The crescent was built in 1894 and thermal water was served here until 1981. Now the public can sample the water from the drinking fountain next to it, known as St Ann's Well, which is decorated at Well Dressing time.
The Opera House, completed around the turn of the 20th century acts as a focal point for the annual Buxton Festival , founded in 1979, and held in the last week of July and first week of August at various venues including the Opera House. The festival programme includes literary events , concerts, recitals as well as opera. Another popular event is the Buxton Festival Fringe which features films, drama, dance, music and other cultural events along the same lines but on a smaller scale to the Edinburgh Fringe. The International Gilbert and Sullivan Festival, founded in 1994, also runs for over three weeks from the end of July through most of August. The Opera House has a year long program of drama, concerts, comedy and other events and recently the former Paxton Suite in the Pavilion Gardens was re-opened as a performance venue called the Pavilion Arts Centre and includes a 369-seat auditorium.
Visit the Buxton Museum and Art Gallery to discover the geology, archeology and history of the Peak District in the Wonders of the Peak time tunnel. The museum also has a collection of 19th and 20th century paintings, and holds regular exhibitions by local and regional artists and various other events. The Pavilion Gardens hosts regular arts, crafts, antiques and jewellery fairs.
There are a couple of churches of note. St John the Baptist Church was built in the Italianate style with a cupola and a massive portico. It contains some very fine mosaics and stained glass. St Annes Church is probably the oldest building in Buxton dating back to at least 1625. It is towerless and aisleless and has a chapel like appearence. Smithys Cottage lies adjacent to St Annes Church.
The Old Hall Hotel was originally Buxton Hall. It was built by the 6th Earl of Shrewsbury, George Talbot, whose wife was Bess of Hardwick, in 1550, replacing an earlier building. It is situated over a natural spring, the warm mineral waters of which were the reason for Buxton's origin. This was the site of the Roman Baths ("Aqua Arnemetiae") thought to have been named after the Celtic water Goddess Arnemetiae. The Celts considered this Spring as a sacred shrine, possibly a thousand years or more before the Roman occupation. Close to the hall is a Victorian letter box, hexagonal in shape and erected in 1867. It is quite unique in Derbyshire.
A major attraction to the west of the town is Pooles Cavern, a natural limestone cave, known to have been inhabited by primitive man. Adjoining the site is a country park. Footpaths lead to Solomon's Temple on Grin Low, half a mile away, providing extensive views over Buxton.
More about Buxton at www.derbyshireuk.net/buxton.html